Manage the footwear product development process by supporting the respective Business Unit(s) and directly interact with Tier 1 supply partners. Provide an effective transition of footwear designs from prototyping into production. This role combines the aspect of actively executing the professional content of a Project Manager with managerial responsibilities.Key Responsibilities
70% professional content
30% Managerial Content
- Translate design vision and consumer needs into products which support the Business Units’ product strategy.
- Engineer workable prototypes which address desired function, cosmetics, market appeal and manufacturability and meet adidas quality standards.
- Communicate all necessary information and coordinate all necessary tasks that support on time Color Way Activation for all assigned projects.
- Manage the direct development process between HQ and Tier1 partners in a collaborative, effective and result oriented manner to achieve optimum results for your area of responsibility.
- Take ownership for the entire project management process for assigned products, with an emphasis on quality product development and timely completion of all tasks in accordance with the applicable product creation calendar.
- Drive the inception of new and innovative footwear designs, components, processes, materials and concepts into a manufacturable and marketable finished product
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with key relationships as listed below.
- Ensure that all materials, processes and development samples are fully tested to ensure adherence to adidas’ quality standards.
- Manage the direct development process for your area of responsibility, by actively engaging with your team members as well as Tier 1 counter parts to understand and help resolving business critical issues in an effective, collaborative and result oriented manner.
- Own an increased responsibility for model level product costing by ensuring that all activities that are necessary to align with Design, Marketing and Tier 1 partners in achieving cost and margin targets for your area of responsibility, take place.
- Assume an increased responsibility to ensure that the delegation of BOM data entry and maintenance at Tier1 suppliers yield optimum results within your area of responsibility.
- Assume an increased responsibility to ensure that design information is at a level which allows and enables an optimized use of design information for tech. package creation at HQ and/or Tier 1 in the context of the direct development process.
- Organizational tasks and communication responsibilities including Sample Request Form completion and use of the adidas Product Data Management System (where necessary and applicable); Management of the Colour Way Activation (CWA) Process.
- Actively collaborate with the Team Lead Technical Management to prioritize resources (at Tier 1 suppliers and internally) versus work load.
- Establishes a team-based culture where effective teamwork and identification with team are key.
- Evaluates the competencies and job performance of his/her subordinates on a regular basis with regard to performance and potential e.g. PEP and TLU.
- Allocate project work to team taking into consideration experience, product complexity and workload.
- Provide input to Senior PM on areas of concern within team and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Actively mentor and support your team members to further their growth in all aspects of the professional content of the project management role.
- Set objectives and evaluate performance of your direct reports
- Grow into a managerial role by supervising the respective team and taking on additional management responsibility and tasks as agreed upon with the Senior Development manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Tier 1 supply partners
- Material Development
- Product Creation Technology
- Fit and Wear Test Department
- Quality Assurance
- Supply Chain Management
- Ability to manage and motivate a team.
- Basic understanding of costing principles.
- Technical training in footwear engineering and product development; knowledge of sourcing.
- Ability to create, plan and deliver presentations.
- Fluent in English; German an advantage.
- MS Office skills.
- Four year college or university degree.
- At least 5 years of related work experience in the athletic footwear industry, specializing in product development, design and / or marketing.
- Proven record of accomplishment in the field of footwear development.