- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- MS CS/CE/EE with 2+years or BS CS/CE/EE with 5+ years delivering core systems and/or kernel components in C/C++
- 5+ years of design and implementation experience
Come change the way AWS does storage!
EBS delivers high-performing virtualized storage “in the cloud” for Amazon Web Services. Our team's software runs on all of Amazon's compute instance platforms, and we are the first point of contact with a customer's I/O request. We are looking for engineers to own the connectivity and performance experience of millions of Amazon customers. We develop kernel-mode drivers, user-space processes and firmware running on PCI-based offload cards that are developed in-house at Amazon. We work at multiple levels in the networking stack and push on the latest innovations in hardware to set the industry standards in performance.
You will design and solve for availability and scalability problems. We also expect our engineers to interact with customers, to understand our business goals and to innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and ground-breaking functionality. You will have opportunities to develop software on the latest hardware acceleration platforms and drive the roadmap for the next generation. You will have an immediate impact on millions of customers, driving down latencies and improving the customer experience as their applications run in the AWS Cloud. You will lead, mentor and be actively involved in hiring other engineers at Amazon.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Cupertino office, but we’re also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring. You too can contribute to this environment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We could not be successful without the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day.
The ideal candidate will have superlative technical strength and
the ability to analyze, design and solve for availability and scalability problems. We also expect our engineers to interact with customers, to understand our business goals and to innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and ground-breaking functionality. Our team is passionate about the large opportunity that we have in Amazon EBS, EC2 and “Cloud Computing” in general and we're looking to raise the bar with our next curious, enthusiastic and motivated team member.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Introduction to EBS:
A background in one or more of the following may be helpful with on-boarding and ramp-up for this position (not required and can be learned):
- Multithreaded concurrent processing
- Linux/Windows kernel modules and file systems, storage hardware or virtualization technologies
- Enterprise-scale distributed systems
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Working backwards from customer needs or requirements
- Embedded systems, Device Drivers, Firmware
- Networking and/or Storage Domains
- Objected Oriented design
- Ruby, Perl or Python scripting languages
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.