Applications will be accepted through September 27, 2021.
BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of professional experience, or 13 with an advanced degree.
- 5 years of experience building distributed software systems including design, implementation, testing and operations.
- Experience managing a 30+ person Engineering organization.
About the job
- Experience at a senior level in a networking or hyperscale cloud company.
- Understanding of Vendor networking hardware (Arista, Juniper, Cisco, etc.) and their capabilities. Familiarity with and comprehension of long-running industry trends.
- Deep understanding of network routing protocols (e.g. BGP, ISIS, MPLS, etc.) and IP Networking including Layers 1 through 3.
- Understanding of 5G Multi-Access Edge Compute
- Strong communication skills with the ability to represent and integrate complex business or technical concepts internally and externally.
We are currently seeking a Director to run our Edge Verticals Infrastructure Development and Engineering team within the Global Networking Technology (GNT) Organization. This team is responsible for designing and qualifying a multi-vendor routing platform as a service to the Google Global Networking (GGN) Wide Area Network (WAN) functional areas that support our Edge Infrastructure.
This team is made up of software engineers and software-minded network engineers that provide a foundation for the larger networking organization to launch WAN features critical to Google’s business. You will be responsible for managing this cross-functional group, promoting a culture of technical excellence, ensuring the soundness of our long-term plan, making key investment decisions, and ensuring that day-to-day operational and execution issues are resolved quickly and effectively. You will also be responsible for representing the GGN Edge Verticals functional areas, to various internal and external groups for new and existing Google Products.
You are a proactive and highly-technical Engineering Director with a strong background in managing software teams, large-scale distributed systems development, and familiarity with the networking domain. Background in Internet-scale network design and/or carrier grade network platforms is desirable.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Work with vertical teams within GGN to deliver platforms on which rich networking and cloud features can be delivered to our customers.
- Work with our routing vendors to define and enforce a long-term roadmap for silicon, platforms, software quality, and management.
- Manage the roadmap, development, deployment and operation of our WAN device management plane, which allows us to safely provision, modify and monitor the running network.
- Supervise network modeling, configuration generation and device telemetry software infrastructure for network management.
- Create workflow automation infrastructure to implement business processes and workflows for network automation, builds, and capacity lifecycle management.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.