Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
About the job
Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience with performance, large scale systems data analysis, visualization tools, and/or debugging.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- Experience architecting hardware solutions for Machine Learning, as well as outreach to ML researchers and application developers.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks including TensorFlow and PyTorch.
Google Cloud's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google Cloud's needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. You will anticipate our customer needs and be empowered to act like an owner, take action and innovate. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will prototype based on existing compiler and runtime stack, allowing to experiment with instruction extensions, different memory layouts, and other hardware parameterization. You will create transaction-level models of key subsystems and of the overall device that allow to estimate performance prior to RTL creation, and simulate larger workloads more efficiently.
In this role, you'll optimize the design for best possible performance under power constraints of a given technology generation. You will work with package and system design teams to arrive at optimal thermal design, and balance risk/reward in deciding when to introduce newer technologies. Additionally, you will optimize the interactions between the accelerator and the outside world.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Create differentiated architectural innovations for Google’s semiconductor TPU roadmap.
- Monitor industrial and academic trends in artificial intelligence and determine where they should intersect our roadmaps.
- Evaluate the power, performance, and cost of prospective architecture and subsystems.
- Engage with system and application software engineers to ensure optimization of the entire hardware/software stack.
- Engage with design, verification, and validation engineers to realize the architecture.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.