Principal Software Development Engineer - Edge Services
Platform Services team manages out edge-in strategy with goal to deliver best-in class customer experience while interacting with us over Internet. It provides DNS, CDN and other routing services to rest of the organization, through use of right technology for the job, with adequate guardrails to avoid snowflake yet accommodate for changing business needs.
- Contribute to Mastercard's Edge In routing strategy.
- Design and implement guardrails necessary for successful implementation of routing strategy.
- Provide guidance and coaching to other teams on correct usage of routing enablers - DNS, CDN, F5, API Gateway, Apache Proxy.
- Build and maintain controls to eliminate snowflake implementations.
- Implement and operationalize monitoring systems for early fault detection in traffic paths and enable fault tolerant, highly available solutions for Web and API Traffic.
- Automate configuration and management of traffic routes, DNS, CDNs.
- Communicate vision to diverse stakeholders within Mastercard to align them to common goals
- Support the production deployment of critical systems
- Create and maintain documentation and procedures for routing patterns, deployment and maintenance
- Work with SRE's and other support teams to participate in release and change management processes to implement new features/functions as well apply mandatory patches or upgrades.
- Given the geo-distributed nature of platform services, the role may occasionally require out of standard hours work to teams from different geographies.
All About You
- Solid experience in Networking, Internet traffic patterns, CDNs, DNS
- Highly proficient in traffic analysis, identifying and designing for failure scenarios.
- Thorough understanding and significant experience of CDN technologies, Edge Routing platforms, DNS solutions - such as Akamai, AWS Route 53.
- Expertise on load balancers, proxies such as F5, Apache httpd, nginx
- Experience in BGP, SMTP, SNMP, VPNs
- Strong understanding of mTLS, X.509, OAuth1.0a, OAuth 2.0, JWT, JWS, JWE and other security protocols
- Experience Database platforms and storage systems.
- Experience in Java, Python, Bash
- Familiarity with Continuous Delivery and Deployment tools such as Jenkins, Chef Infra / Habitat, Ansible, Teraform.
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Splunk, Dynatrace.
- Familiarity with metrics collection tools such as Prometheus, Grafana.
- Exposure to or good experience within the financial services/payments industry environment (e.g Banking, Credit Card Scheme)
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent qualification/industry experience within IT/eCommerce
- Any Enterprise Database certification is a desirable qualification
- Hands on approach to problem solving
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal coupled with strong problem solving skills
- Exposure and practice with any or all of the following is a plus: Remedy, Jenkins, ITIL, CMM, Six Sigma, Agile, Scrum, and Kanban
- Positive attitude with the ability to adapt and be flexible within a fast paced environment
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
Every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security. All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and therefore, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position must:
• Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
• Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
• Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
• Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.