Job Description: Senior Member Technical Staff, Development
Oracle Cloud is a strategic growth area for Oracle. It is a comprehensive cloud services offering in the enterprise software industry, spanning Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS).
Oracle PaaS is a key part of Oracleâ€™s Cloud strategy and our suite of PaaS services are responsible for helping our customer ecosystem of product and solution developers, data scientists, analysts and business owners across Line of Business and IT organizations to build data driven applications for their respective application verticals.
Oracle Data Catalog is a new Cloud Platform for harvesting, organizing, standardizing and reporting on metadata obtained from data sources on cloud and on premise.
As part of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), Oracle Data Catalog provides a large-scale, distributed platform for discovering, organizing, enriching and tracing data assets on Oracle cloud and beyond. It is a critical cloud service at the core of the Oracle data management platform, which covers Data Lake, Data Warehousing, Data Science, etc. Customers can use Data Catalog capabilities to efficiently exploit and govern the data:
- Discover (harvest) information on data assets from sources such as Object Stores, Databases, Big Data stores, PaaS, SaaS etc.
- Organize data assets both based on native system hierarchies as well as business taxonomies and provide semantic alignment across Oracle Cloud
- Enrich the understanding of available data by using AI/ML to tag and classify data entities according to business terms and glossaries, as well as by capturing additional knowledge
- Find relevant data assets for usage in a variety of different services through multi-faceted search
- Trace the origins of data (lineage), provide audits as part of the governance initiatives
- Serve as a data dictionary for Big Data SQL execution engines, such as Spark SQL.
We are looking for strong technical engineers to take on the challenge of engineering a cloud solution for security, scale and performance while providing strong guarantees of availability to our customers. You will be responsible for applying your extensive knowledge of software architecture and user experience to architect, design and develop highly performant and maintainable full stack Java/Spark applications and services for Oracle PaaS.Your Responsibilities
As an integral part of the OCI development team you will be responsible for the following â€“
- Help drive the next generation Data Catalog Cloud service
- Build systems to address hard operational problems such as automation, provisioning/deployment, security, scaling, availability, and resiliency - while enabling our service developers to remain agile and deliver feature changes.
- Value simplicity and usability and work comfortably in a collaborative, agile environment.
- Working directly with product management and architects and shaping the roadmap
- Working with remote and geographically distributed teams.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related fields.
- 5-9 years of experience building enterprise software.
- Proficient in Java
- Excellent coding and design skills in Java and related technologies
- Deep understanding of data structures, algorithms and excellent problem solving skills
- Experience building microservices and RESTful services and deep understanding of building cloud based services (MT architecture, Auto scaling, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies in a dynamic environment.
- Prior experience building cloud services would be and added advantage
- Good organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Innovation starts with inclusion at Oracle. We are committed to creating a workplace where all kinds of people can be themselves and do their best work. Itâ€™s when everyoneâ€™s voice is heard and valued, that we are inspired to go beyond whatâ€™s been done before. Thatâ€™s why we need people with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities to help us create the future, and are proud to be an affirmative-action equal opportunity employer.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to applicable law.