To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Products and Technology
What you’ll be doing…
Do you want to shape how data will change the world? Are you passionate about making data work more human-centered and humane? Are you excited about a company that builds software to augment human intelligence? As a Senior User Researcher for Analytics, you will be a central driver in developing experiences that empower people to see and understand data. You will also join a stellar user research team with opportunities for professional growth, mentorship, and collaboration.
You will help users and organizations unlock the full potential of their data by removing barriers to analyzing data, answering questions, creating and publishing visualizations, and sharing insights. You will develop a deep knowledge of user workflows and motivations, and your research might uncover the best ways to help knowledge workers act on data in their workflows or the barriers to self-service analytics in organizations. Your insights might inform our strategy for delivering powerful and integrated user experiences across Slack, Salesforce, and Tableau or harnessing the knowledge and passion of the Tableau community.
Who we are…
The Analytics User Research Group leads efforts to make fast, easy, and beautiful data experiences possible for every user across Tableau and Tableau CRM. We are responsible for continuously evolving how our products are built, designed, and used across organizations and within workflows. We anticipate changes in work, technology, and society in order to innovate and build new experiences that make data meaningful and actionable for new groups of users and at scale.
Our research shapes the analytical experiences that help organizations make smarter and more data-informed decisions. As a group we work on democratizing the power of sophisticated analytics to new groups of users and developing augmented analytics and predictive and prescriptive insights that meet real user needs. Our work heavily invests in the ethics and responsibilities that must accompany these technologies. We also shape the platform that delivers the power of visual analytics, insights, and actions within workflows, provides flawless and collaborative experiences with data, and supports an ecosystem that inspires the Tableau community across the globe.
Who you are...
You are a top-tier research leader that will demonstrate your knowledge and technical prowess in helping Tableau understand its current and future users. You are excellent at communicating insights to both leadership and feature teams to help drive strategy and create experiences that customers need and love. You are also able to deliver uncomfortable truths about the product or strategy when that is required. You help teams develop emotional intelligence and see the world through the customer’s eyes. You have a highly developed curiosity to learn about others that makes you an especially good researcher and collaborator. In close partnership with the product development team, you will use your research expertise and business acuity to define research problems and build research plans that address their most pressing questions about our customers, products, and business.
Some job responsibilities include…
- Develop a user research agenda for your areas and shape the prioritization of research within those areas.
- Work on fast-paced projects, requiring attention to detail, working within constrained timelines, and strong collaboration with cross-functional teams (UX designers, visual designers, user researchers, technical writers, product managers, and engineering) throughout the planning and development life cycle.
- Develop and implement user research studies using appropriate quantitative and qualitative methods to produce tactical, strategic, actionable, and durable insights that advise design and development.
- Lead analyses that triangulate telemetry and qualitative data, developing mixed methods approaches to understanding our users.
- Influence decision-making through effective presentation of findings, including the creation of customer-centered narratives to frame problems and highlight the business value of potential solutions.
- Develop and share expertise related to how people create, share, manage, and use data visualizations, dashboards, machine learning models, and sophisticated analytics within organizations.
- Be a strategic partner with your leadership team and key executives across the business to help shape long-term vision by identifying and advocating for opportunities to delight and better serve our customers through new features, strategic directions, and user experience improvements.
- Build and shape our user research team's tools and practices to scale our impact and create durable insights across the organization.
- Find and attract user research talent.
- Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Communication, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Information Science, or related field
- 7 or more years’ experience conducting user research plus a strong portfolio of shipping software products
- Curious about technology and can dive into complex or unfamiliar topics
- In-depth knowledge of standard methodologies for UX design principles and both qualitative and quantitative user research methodologies
- Excels at communicating research insights as compelling narratives to a variety of audiences, and generating persuasive written and multimedia reports.
- Proven track record influencing product direction and strategy with useful insights.
- Demonstrated success in a collaborative environment and have experience working with multidisciplinary or cross-functional agile teams (e.g. design, product management, engineering).
- Demonstrated ability to plan, design, complete, and communicate both strategic and tactical research engagements, structure and lead internal and external workshops, and analyze the outcomes to provide insight for partners.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strong advocate for the user and persuade others on fast-moving projects with varying degrees of ambiguity
- Experience working in enterprise software, analytics, databases, or cloud services is a plus
- Hands-on experience analyzing data and using analytic software products or relevant programming languages
- Experience using one or more Tableau products (Desktop, Prep Builder and Conductor, Server, Online) is desirable
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form .
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org .
Salesforce welcomes all.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.