Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We're always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role:
Amazon Interactive Video Service (IVS) is an AWS service that allows developers to easily leverage the low-latency highly-distributed live video platform that powers Twitch in their own applications. The Video Clients team is looking for engineers to work on our Android clients, including the video player SDK and video broadcast SDK that provides low latency and high quality live streaming experience. Previous experience working with video technologies is a plus, but not a requirement since you'll be partnered with video veterans throughout the company.
You'll experience the best of both worlds while working on a brand new AWS service at Twitch—you'll be immersed in Twitch's creator-first culture and enjoy our perks while moving fast to build a new business. You'll make an impact on Twitch, the largest live video entertainment platform in the world with over 1 trillion minutes of content watched in 2020, and on a rapidly growing and evolving AWS service. You'll work on projects like optimizing the adaptive bitrate algorithm for reduced video buffering, adding playback and broadcast support for new client platforms, simplifying our SDKs so they're easier to integrate with, and building entirely new video SDKs.
We envision a product that allows for real-time interactivity broadcast to millions of viewers with less than a second of delay. To get there, we will have to push the boundaries of existing video standards, experiment with new ones, and open source our work along the way. We need your help to figure this out!
- Develop video playback/broadcast experience on Android mobile devices and cross-platform software stack
- Collaborate with backend video teams like ingest, transcode, replication, and mapping teams to improve the video playback/broadcast experience
- Add reliable cross-platform unit, integration, and e2e tests
- Help define our open source strategy
- Keep abreast of current technologies and recent developments in mobile and media technologies.
- 2+ years of professional software development or equivalent expertise.
- Development experience on Android
- Working familiarity with C++
- Experience with multithreaded programming, object oriented design and real time considerations.
- Good communication skills, and able to clearly articulate complex problems and solutions.
- Experience building cross-platform libraries/SDKs and shipping successful software products.
- Experience with audio/video or graphics on Android (or mobile platform)
- Experience with MediaCodec, MediaProjection, SurfaceView on Android
- Experience with ExoPlayer code base
- Familiarity with video streaming technologies (HLS, DASH, RTMP) or codecs such as H.264
- Experience with WebRTC
- Experience with network protocols
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages