At Zalando Design System, our mission is to help teams deliver high-quality user interfaces. We support teams to make our digital products easy to use, accessible and joyful. As a Design System Engineer, you will have a unique opportunity to shape the future of Zalando's design standards. You will be working closely with design teams and mobile engineers to evolve our processes, central UI libraries, tools, using technologies such as Node, React, Typescript. The role interacts with many teams across the organization to increase the adoption of the design system and help developers and designers create and deliver the best user experience.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Build and maintain our central React-based component library for web-tech based products
- Deliver high-quality code with performance, accessibility, maintainability and stability as the primary focus
- Collaborate with experienced engineers, designers and product owners
- Elevate our shared processes and tools to support large number of teams working on a diverse array of products
- Drive the adoption of our Design System across the company
- Document and evangelize best practices for UI development, accessibility, Component usage
- Serve as technical advisor to engineering teams and leadership
- Partner with the core platform teams to deliver core architecture of the web framework
- Make a positive impact on our growing tech community
PERKS AT WORK
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines
- You are capable of working both collaboratively and independently.
- You care about code quality and have a passion for building high-impact, well-performing experience.
- You strive to show that speed and quality are not conflicting
- You have a passion for improving developer and designer experiences
- You have curious minds and enjoy keeping up to date with the latest technologies
- You bring a systematic approach to problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using or building a design system
- Solid foundation of core front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Strong experience in React
- Good knowledge of Typescript
- Good Knowledge of cross-platform browser compatibility restrictions and requirements
- Good knowledge of Unit, end-to-end testing strategies and frameworks like Jest
- Comfortable working with Node.js, NPM, Build tools, Command line
- Knowledge of accessibility standards and best practises is a plus
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, 70+ internal technical and fun guilds, knowledge sharing through tech talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties & events.
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, free beverages and fruits, diverse sports and health offerings.
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and an international team of experts.
- Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms*. (*available only in select locations)
Zalando is Europe's leading online platform for fashion, connecting customers, brands and partners across 20 markets. We drive digital solutions for fashion, logistics, advertising and research, bringing head-to-toe fashion to more than 45 million active customers through diverse skill-sets, interests and languages our teams choose to use.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form - we do not accept applications via email.